15 Top Cities of Antigua and Barbuda - Best travel and holiday destinations
Updated 8 Apr, 2020
Add to trip
Antigua and Barbuda
Antigua and Barbuda is a small island country located in the Caribbean that comprises the island of Antigua and Barbuda with many more small islands.
The warm, steady winds with complex coastline is a major tourist goal that awe every tourist to this tropical paradise.
Antigua and Barbuda has some of the world's best travel destinations and cities; read along to find the inspiration for your next trip.
St. John’s - most developed city in Antigua and Barbuda
St. John is the capital and the largest city of Antigua and Barbuda and the main port of the nation.
Top things to do in St. John’s –
- Know about the history of the island in the Museum of Antigua and Barbuda.
- Shop for alcohol, standard souvenirs and jewelry in Heritage Quay shopping area.
- Head to Fort James where you can find ruins of a fort while enjoying the seaside views.
- Visit the St. John Cathedral, a 19th century cathedral on a hill.
- Enjoy a number of table games with drinks in King’s Casino.
- Stroll along while feeling the breeze of town’s quaint beaches.
- Get delighted with the fine dining near the beaches of St. John’s.
Popular food to try in St. John’s consists of Conch, fungi ,saltfish, sipping rum, Ducana, Susie’s hot sauce and Wadadli beer.
Best time to visit St. John's is from May to November during off peak season when rates are cheap.
How to reach St. John’s ? Book a flight to VC Bird International Airport located around 8 km away from the city.
Nelson’s Dockyard - cultural capital of Antigua and Barbuda
Nelson’s Dockyard is a rich cultural site in the island of Antigua that is a part of the Nelson’s Dockyard National Park.
Top things to do in Nelson’s Dockyard –
- Visit the Dockyard Museum to know more about this 18th century landmark which is also UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Take photographs of yachts and ships sailing through the harbor.
- Hop the shops, art galleries and restaurants dotted around the dockyard.
- Enjoy a cool stay at Copper and Lumber hotel in the dockyard.
- Go hiking in the trails to relish the scenic natural beauty of the national park.
Best time to visit Nelson’s Dockyard is from May till November. The place is open from 8 AM to 6 PM.
How to reach Nelson’s Dockyard? Take a car or taxi from the capital city to reach the dockyard.
Shirley Heights - top party destination in Antigua and Barbuda
Shirley Heights is a restored military lookout and a gun battery in Antigua located near the cultural site of Nelson’s Dockyard.
Top things to do in Shirley Heights –
- Attend the weekly Sunday Barbecue party, the main event here where you can enjoy drinks, BBQ, food, live music and fun.
- Get mesmerizing views of the beaches with an overwhelming Caribbean sunset.
- Click some memorable pictures of the whole landscape that is full of ships and boats over the coast.
- Stroll over the old military fortifications.
- Challenge yourself while climbing to the top of heights from its beaches.
Popular food to try in Shirley Heights is grilled Antiguan lobster, seafood and many Caribbean dishes.
Best time to visit Shirley Heights is during early morning or during sunset. The party is held from 4 PM to 10 PM every Sunday.
How to reach Shirley Heights? You can easily reach the lookout from the Nelson’s Dockyard that is just a walk away from the dockyard.
English Harbor - most popular destination in Antigua and Barbuda
English Harbor is a natural harbor area in the island of Antigua located at the extreme southern part of the island.
Top things to do in English Harbor –
- Wander the picturesque Galleon beach that is known for its snorkeling opportunities.
- Move to Fort Berkeley, a marvelous 18th century fort located on the harbor.
- Marvel the freakish Pillars of Hercules, a natural formation eroded by relentless wind, rain and waves.
- Climb up to the Monk’s Hill to admire the views of the panoramic harbor.
- Complete your trip after a boat ride around the harbor.
Popular food to try in English Harbor comprises of Caribbean, Vegan and seafood with wine.
Best time to visit English Harbor is from late January to early April.
How to reach English Harbor? Take a car or taxi from the capital city of St. John’s to reach the harbor.
Jolly Harbor - top romantic destination in Antigua and Barbuda
Jolly Harbor is a modern resort township in the island of Antigua that is a lovely spot for your next honeymoon.
Top things to do in Jolly Harbor –
- Travel over a number of shops and restaurants around this modern village.
- Enjoy a romantic walk or relax while enjoying the sunshine in the Ffryes Beach.
- Get a chance to do snorkeling over the Darkwood Beach.
- Cherish the cool views of hills and villas while wandering at shallow waters on the Valley Church Beach.
- Entertain yourself with the fun rides on the Swash water park.
- Play golf at the Jolly Harbor golf club.
Popular food to try in Jolly Harbor consists of Caribbean, Asian, Creole, Italian and Mediterranean cuisines.
Best time to visit Jolly Harbor is from December to April especially during February when yacht races take place here.
How to reach Jolly Harbor? Take a taxi, car or bus from St. John’s to reach the harbor.
Half Moon Bay - top beach destination in Antigua and Barbuda
Half Moon Bay is a resort area in the island of Antigua that is known all across the world as a beach destination.
Top things to do in Half Moon Bay –
- Get lost while roaming the white crescent beaches of the bay area.
- Upscale yourself with the amenities offered by many luxurious resorts around the bay.
- Do swimming, snorkeling in the bay's turquoise blue waters and ramble the views of the hills surrounding the nearby area.
- Sit beneath the tall palm trees and just feel the seaside breeze without any interruption.
Best time to visit Half Moon Bay is during the months of July, August, September and October.
How to reach Half Moon Bay? The bay is easily accessible from any point of Antigua island.
Codrington - ghost town of Antigua and Barbuda
Codrington is a small city in the country located at the island of Barbuda that was destroyed in 2017 due to a hurricane.
Top things to do in Codrington –
- Learn about how hurricane Irma made the city a Caribbean ghost town.
- Find the remains of a majestic castle that was destroyed by an earthquake during 1843.
- Meander the empty streets of the town where you will see more goats and dogs than man.
- Taste the authentic food in town’s many open air restaurants.
Popular food to try in Codrington includes crab, fish, lobster, conch and many more street food items.
Best time to visit Codrington is from December to mid April.
How to reach Codrington? Book a flight to Codrington Airport to reach the town or take a ferry from Antigua to reach the town.
Frigate Bird Sanctuary - top place to explore wildlife in Antigua and Barbuda
Frigate Bird Sanctuary is a top place in western hemisphere to find birds located in the island of Barbuda.
Top things to do in Frigate Bird Sanctuary –
- Find more than 5000 frigate birds in Codrington lagoon forming one of largest frigate bird communities in the world.
- Detect the Antiguan racer, one of rarest snake species in the world.
- Enjoy activities like swimming, fishing, caving and snorkeling.
The bird sanctuary is home to more than 170 species of birds making it a paradise for birdwatchers.
Best time to visit Frigate Bird Sanctuary is from September till April.
How to reach Frigate Bird Sanctuary? You have to take a licensed sea taxi to access the sanctuary.
Bolands - top family travel destination in Antigua and Barbuda
Bolands is a town in the island of Antigua located in the parish of St. Mary. The resort town provides a fabulous experience for a family visit.
Top things to do in Bolands –
- Take some rest in the lavish hotels and resorts of the town.
- Head to the seaside famous Jolly Beach Resort.
- Visit a number of cultural sites around the town.
- Learn about the history of the local Agrarian community.
- Relish shopping with your family in VM Aunt Mam Supermarket.
- Get familiar with the local people who can be seen indulging in agricultural activities.
Best time to visit Bolands is from January to April.
How to reach Bolands? Take a bus or taxi from St. John’s to reach the town.
Long Island - top nature’s lover destination in Antigua and Barbuda
Long Island is the fifth largest island of Antigua and Barbuda that is also called Jumba Bay.
Top things to do in Long Island –
- Fall in love with the fantastic natural beauty of the Island.
- Get sun-kissed in the long stretch of the beaches around the bay.
- Taste the fresh, local and organic food that you will absolutely crave over.
- Live the luxurious life in many world class resorts of the island.
- Do adventures like paddle boarding , windsurfing, snorkeling, water skiing, kayaking and swimming.
Best time to visit Long Island is during December, January, February, March and April.
How to reach Long Island? Take a boat from the island of Antigua to reach the Long Island.
Falmouth - top backpacking destination in Antigua and Barbuda
Falmouth is a long coastal town in Antigua island located in the parish of Saint Paul in the southeastern part of the island.
Top things to do in Falmouth –
- Take a tour on the yachts which the harbor is famous for.
- Click some alluring photographs of the boats and yachts parked on the dockyard.
- Stay in many lavish resorts near the coast where you can adore the brilliant sea views.
- Progress to the nearby English Harbor.
Popular food to try in Falmouth comprises of Caribbean, Italian, seafood and Mediterranean dishes.
Best time to visit Falmouth is from November to March.
How to reach Falmouth? The town is easily accessible by taking a taxi or bus from St. John’s.
Carlisle - top solo travel destination in Antigua and Barbuda
Carlisle is a famous resort town and a bay in the island of Antigua located in the southern shores of the island.
Top things to do in Carlisle –
- Meander the dazzling white sandy beaches of the resort overlooking the crystalline turquoise waters.
- Plan your dream destination wedding here or honeymoon with its luxury resorts.
- Get delighted with the authentic food and refreshing tropical drinks.
- Upscale yourself with premium shopping in the popular Bay Boutique of the town.
- Explore the whole landscape with a number of activities like horse riding and boat trips.
- End your trip after a helicopter trip.
Popular food to try in Carlisle includes fruit drinks along with many traditional and international delicacies.
Best time to visit Carlisle is during the months of December, January and February.
How to reach Carlisle ? Take a taxi or bus from St. John’s via old road to reach the bay.
Redcliffe Bay - top shopping destination in Antigua and Barbuda
Redcliffe Bay is a major tourist district of the city of St. John’s that is famous all across the island for its shopping opportunities.
Top things to do in Redcliffe Bay –
- Maunder along the promenade and admire the turquoise waters of the shore.
- Travel over the streets and view the vibrantly colored buildings.
- Shop pottery items, crafts, jewelry, paintings, souvenirs and the island’s famous bottles of rum in its art galleries, boutiques and shops.
- Enjoy fine dining in cool restaurants, wine bars and coffee shops.
- Take photographs of the large and small ships on the port.
Popular food to try in Redcliffe Bay consists of traditional Caribbean delicacies with a glass of wine.
Best time to visit Redcliffe Bay is from 10 AM to 6 PM. Try to visit it when the place is less crowded.
How to reach Redcliffe Bay? Take a taxi from any point on St. John’s to reach the bay.
Mount Obama - top adventure destination in Antigua
Mount Obama is the highest mountain peak in the Island of Antigua located in the Shekerley Mountains in southwestern part of the island.
Top things to do in Mount Obama –
- Go for a half day hike to reach the top of the mountain at 402 meters.
- Get a spectacular view of the vast beaches and bay area.
- Get lost in the green hilly mountainous forest with many twists and turns.
- Locate the plants of black pineapple, mango and dwarf papaya trees.
Best time to visit Mount Obama is from January to Mid during sunny days.
How to reach Mount Obama ? The mountain can be reached by taking a taxi or bus from the capital city.
Gravenor Bay - most offbeat destination in Antigua and Barbuda
Gravenor Bay is a bay area in the island of Barbuda located in the southernmost part of the island that is sure to give you an unconventional experience.
Top things to do in Gravenor Bay –
- Roam over the large sandy white beach of the bay area that stretches out in the entire southern part of the island.
- Cover the Coca point in the west and point in the Spanish east.
- Get sporty with snorkeling in the stunning blue waters of the Caribbean Sea.
- See a few number of yachts over this major anchorage in the island of Barbuda.
- Feel peaceful and relaxed and just lay down on the unpopulated beach of the bay.
Best time to visit Gravenor Bay is during December, January, February and March.
How to reach Gravenor Bay? You can take a ferry from the island of Antigua for reaching the bay.