15 Top Cities of Australia - Best travel and holiday destinations
Updated 8 Apr, 2020
Add to trip
Australia, the land down under is a popular travel destination across the globe that is the largest country of Oceania.
Australia is well famous for its vast sandy beaches, seawaters, coral reefs, rough deserts to some of the most developed metropolitan cities.
Australia has some of the world's best travel destinations and cities; read along to find the inspiration for your next trip.
Adelaide - top shopping destination in Australia
A city full of flavors, culture, entertainment and ,Adelaide is the cosmopolitan capital of Southern Australia.
Top things to do in Adelaide –
- Attend the Adelaide festival, an annual international festival to celebrate the city's art with many film events.
- Head to the Central Market of Adelaide in the city centre, one of largest markets for shopping of fresh produce in the southern hemisphere.
- Get an ultimate shopping experience in the Rundle Mall with more than 700 retailers selling everything you want.
- Get sporty with many events being held from 1871 in the Adelaide Oval Stadium.
- Explore a large variety of exotic plant species in Adelaide Botanical Gardens.
- Shop huge stock of vintage items in numerous vintage stores spread in the city.
- Know about the natural history of Australia in the South Australia Museum of Adelaide .
Popular food to try in Adelaide consists of French, Argentine and Australian cuisine along with wine.
Best time to visit Adelaide is from March to May or from September till November.
How to reach Adelaide? Book a flight to Adelaide Airport to reach this vibrant city.
Fitzroy - top nightlife destination in Australia
Fitzroy is a lively suburb in Australia known for the city's vibrant dance clubs, restaurants, bars offering dazzling nightlife for students, young and weekenders.
Top things to do in Fitzroy –
- Experience one of world’s best nightlife with Fitzroy’s rich cocktail bars, pubs and sharp wine bars dotted in the suburb.
- Spend time and money in Fitzroy weekly flea market where you buy art, food and many second hand goods while adoring live music.
- Enjoy in a number of cafes, restaurants, antique shops, boutiques and art galleries in Gertrude street.
- Get inside the shop of Sugar Republic that is sure to bring back your childhood memories.
- Take a city break and relax amidst the trees, garden beds and lakes of Royal Botanical Gardens.
Popular food to try in Fitzroy comprises multicultural cuisines with coffee, milk smoothies and cocktails.
Best time to visit Fitzroy is during the months of August and September.
How to reach Fitzroy? Book a flight to Melbourne Airport from where you can take a bus or taxi to reach the city.
Richmond - food capital of Australia
Richmond is a large district of Australia located three kilometers away from the business district of Melbourne popular for its discount shopping and fine dining.
Top things to do in Richmond –
- Hop a number of cozy cafes, fine restaurants and dizzying bars flanked over the city.
- Get delighted with a mix of multicultural food that Richmond offers to its visitors.
- Stroll along the Victoria street known for restaurant strips to taste Vietnamese food while exploring the fancy street art.
- Go shopping in the city's famous Bridge Road street.
- Cover the small Herring Island, an artificial island built on the Yarra River.
- Come across the Richmond Catholic Church, one of largest churches in Melbourne.
- Relax and enjoy the freshness of greenery in Dame Nellie Melba Memorial Park.
Popular food to try in Richmond includes Poh, Banh mi, pies, Greek, European and Vietnamese delicacies.
Best time to visit Richmond is from October till April.
How to reach Richmond? Take a bus or taxi from the city of Melbourne to reach the city.
Melbourne - cultural capital of Australia
Cultural diversity, excellent dining, street art and lively markets, Melbourne the capital of Victoria state of Australia offers everything to the tourists.
Top things to do in Melbourne –
- Admire the great Victorian architecture while shopping fashion brands in the prominent Collins Street of Melbourne .
- Take a ride on Melbourne’s iconic green and yellow trams to get a glimpse of major landmarks of the city.
- Do shopping in the 19th century Queen Victoria Market, the largest shopping market in the southern hemisphere.
- Wander over and attend a number of public events held in the city’s central Federation Square.
- Watch a game of Aussie rules football in the massive Australian Football Stadium.
- Spot and take photographs of quirky street art graffiti in Melbourne’s many laneways.
- Ease yourself with services of hotels, spas, casinos and restaurants by famous Crown Towers of Melbourne.
Popular food to try in Melbourne includes African, Australian, French, Chinese, Japanese, Indian and Italian delicacies.
Best time to visit Melbourne is from March to May or from September to November.
How to reach Melbourne? Book a flight to Melbourne Airport to get access to the city.
Palm Cove - top romantic destination in Australia
Palm Cove is a unique coastal suburb located in the region of Cairns that is great for a honeymoon while enjoying the relaxing atmosphere.
Top things to do in Palm Cove –
- Go for a romantic walk along the golden beaches of town backed by tall palm trees, the reason behind the town’s name.
- Enjoy fine dining and lux stay in the lavish hotels and authentic restaurants near the palm fringed beaches.
- Go for a picnic lunch under the green forest canopy surrounding the village.
- Practice snorkeling with your partner in the lagoon pools of the region to discover the region's marine life.
- Sit, take rest to replenish your body and view lovely sunsets and sunrises from the beaches.
- Capture the alluring photographs of many scenic places and moments during your vacation.
Popular food to try in Palm Cove consists of multicultural food along the beaches with some wine.
Best time to visit Palm Cove is from December till February during the summer season.
How to reach Palm Cove? Book a flight to Cairns Airport from where you can take a bus, car or taxi to reach this village.
Great Barrier Reef - top nature’s lover destination in Australia
Great Barrier Reef is the world's largest coral reef system located off the coast of Queensland that is made up of more than 3000 separate reefs.
Top things to do in Great Barrier Reef –
- Witness an abundance of varied marine life in this large 2300 km stretch of Australia’s natural wonder.
- Take an aircraft and helicopter tour to experience a different panoramic perspective of the whole reef.
- Do activities like snorkeling, scuba diving, bare boats, submarine adventure and educational trips.
- Feel remote, discover , stroll and take a leap of nature in more than 100 islands over the grand reef.
- Visit the remarkable Lizard Island on the northern part where you can enjoy an upscale lifestyle with lavish accommodations.
Popular food to try in Great Barrier Reef comprises seafood, fish and chips, wine along with many cocktails options.
Best time to visit the Great Barrier Reef is from June till September.
How to reach the Great Barrier Reef? Take a flight to coastal cities of Queensland from Sydney or Melbourne to reach the reef.
Hobart - top solo travel destination in Australia
Hobart is the capital city of Tasmania state of Australia located on the bank of Derwent river that is worthy for a solo trip .
Top things to do in Hobart –
- Celebrate vibrant Tasmanian festivals where you can party with many music, cultural, sports and food events and fairs.
- Buy food, fashion clothes, Tasmanian timber, produce and art in the Salamanca Street, the central attraction in Hobart.
- Do rock climbing and go hiking along many trails on Mount Wellington.
- Stay in the Wrest Point hotels where you can enjoy amenities like golfing, polished rooms, casinos and bars.
- Meander Farm Gate Market and buy edible souvenirs like cheese, artistic coffee, cakes and much more.
- Relax and detect historical plants in the vast Royal Tasmanian Gardens.
Popular food to try in Hobart comprises seafood, deep sea Travella, lobster, Scallop pie, wine and coffee.
Best time to visit Hobart is during December, January and February during the summer season.
How to reach Hobart? Book a flight to Hobart Airport located around 17 km away from the city centre.
Gold Coast - top beach destination in Australia
Gold Coast is a long beach resort town in the Queensland state of Australia that is famed for the long beaches, theme parks and surfing opportunities.
Top things to do in Gold Coast –
- Start your trip from the Sea World, the famous marine mammal park, oceanarium and theme park of Gold Coast.
- Enjoy a family picnic while soaking up the sun in the vast white beaches.
- Go for a marine adventure with activities like swimming and surfing on town’s perfect ocean waves.
- Jump to the SkyPoint Observation Deck to get a panoramic view of the whole city from the highest point of Gold Coast.
- Shop art, craft and fashion products in various beachfront and village markets during evening and weekends.
- Take a city break and feel tranquil with camping amidst the pristine natural area of Springbrook National Park.
Popular food to try in the Gold Coast includes mud crab, fish and chips, seafood, Japanese and Korean specialties.
Best time to visit the Gold Coast is from May until October.
How to reach the Gold Coast? Book a flight to Gold Coast Airport located in the southern end of the city.
Canberra - top family travel destination in Australia
Canberra is the capital city of Australia and largest inland city of Australia. The city is perfect for a family vacation with world class accommodations, services and attractions.
Top things to do in Canberra –
- Give your kids an interactive learning experience in Questacon National Science and Technology Centre.
- Get to various tea houses where you can enjoy the traditional mid afternoon tea with some luscious pastries.
- Learn about the history of Australia’s War Memorial, a monument dedicated to the Australian armed forces.
- Relax, do cycling, fishing, boating and walking around the beautiful Burley Griffin Lake in the city centre.
- View with your family more than 166000 artworks in the National Gallery of Australia, one of largest art galleries in the country.
- Explore the vast National Arboretum of Australia where you can picnic and escape from the city hustle.
Popular food to try in Canberra comprises fish and chips, potato scallops, seafood, burgers with many traditional delicacies.
Best time to visit Canberra is during September, October and November during spring season.
How to reach Canberra? Book a flight to Canberra Airport for getting access to the city.
Perth, top backpacking destination in Australia
Perth is the capital city of western Australia. Backpackers can see and do many activities around the cool suburbs, long beaches and riverside.
Top things to do in Perth –
- Cover the large Kings Park and Botanical Garden overlooking the Perth river known for its cheerful plant life and historic memorials.
- Shop many souvenirs and taste the melodious food in various eateries over the Elizabeth Quay in the main business district of Perth.
- Cherish snorkeling, swimming, surfing and diving in the deep blue waters of Cottesloe Beach.
- Explore the beautiful natural region of Swan river where you can visit the lovely wineries and breweries.
- Astonish the vivacious art works of western part of the country in the Art Gallery of Western Australia.
- Look at some rare animal species in the Perth Zoo.
- End your trip after admiring the zippy sunsets from the river or the oceans.
Popular food to try in Perth consists of western rock lobster, chili mussels, fish and chips, truffles, coffee and wine.
Best time to visit Perth is from September to November during spring and sunny days.
How to reach Perth? Book a flight to Perth Airport, the fourth largest airport of Australia.
Uluru - most offbeat destination in Australia
Uluru is the famed red stone formation in Australia with an elevation of 863 meters located around 450 km away from the city of Alice.
Top things to do in Uluru –
- Discover the sweeping natural region of Uluru Kata Tjuta National Park and wander the trails around the rock.
- Get an overwhelming sunset and sunrise views from the two different viewing areas to have the best perspective.
- Do camping in the lone desert, gaze at the broad sky and do rock climbing in the massive canyons of the national park.
- Locate a number of freakish waterholes in Mutitjulu where you can rest and ramble the entire landscape.
- Get an adrenaline rush with parachuting and tandem skydiving in the national park.
- Complete your journey after taking some adorable photographs of the rock, deserts and canyons.
Popular food to try in Uluru comprises deserts, vegetarian food with many buffet options with champagne after the sunsets.
Best time to visit Uluru is from May till September.
How to reach Uluru? Take a flight to Ayers Rock Airport from where you can take a taxi or car to reach the national park.
Barossa Valley - top wine lover destination in Australia
Barossa Valley is a dazzling natural valley in Southern Australia located around 60 km away from the city of Adelaide.
Top things to do in Barossa Valley –
- Tour the Henley Farm, a picturesque cozy farm building to treat yourself with the tempting food served here.
- Hop a number of most famous wineries of Australia like Torbreck Vintners, Seppeltsfield, Two Hands Wine, Whistlers Wine and many others.
- Roam the green vineyards, taste the locally produced Shiraz grapes wine and meander the wooden cottages.
- Take your kids to the Big Rocking Horse, a toy factory famed with a giant statue of a toy horse.
- Get inside the National Motor Museum to know more about the motor and automobile history of Australia.
- Go for hiking in the Warren Conservation Park and take a spectacular view of the picturesque valley.
Popular food to try in Barossa Valley includes chicken Laksa, local wine along with many modern Australian dishes.
Best time to visit Barossa Valley is during the months of April and May during autumn season.
How to reach Barossa Valley? Take a taxi, car or bus from the city of Adelaide to reach the valley.
Daintree Rainforest - top place to explore wildlife in Australia
Daintree Rainforest is an ecological park in Australia located in western part of the country in the state of Queensland which is one of oldest surviving rainforests in the world.
Top things to do in Daintree Rainforest –
- Pass the walking tracks or do driving to unveil the ever changing landscapes of rainforests with beaches, rivers, waterfalls and dense forests.
- Go for adventure in the rugged mountain peaks where you see alluring flowers on the way and breathtaking views from the top.
- Find out some rarest species of animals like tree kangaroo, cassowary, pale yellow robins, thornbills, golden bowerbirds, honeyeaters and more.
- Get surprised with the exceptional beauty of fringing coral reefs on the offshore of rainforest that is a rare phenomenon.
- Take jungle surfing canopy tours where you get a perfect exploration of forests while zip lining the jungle.
- Make camps along the region and detect the giant Australian crocodiles.
Popular food to try in Daintree Rainforest consists of kangaroo and crocodile meat with seasonal bush foods.
Best time to visit Daintree Forest is from May till September during cooler months.
How to reach Daintree Forest? Take a car or bus from the city of Cairns to reach the rainforest.
Brisbane - best weather destination in Australia
Brisbane is the capital city of Queensland situated on the bank of Brisbane river that is known for perfect climate and is nicknamed as Mecca for visitors.
Top things to do in Brisbane –
- Cover the iconic Story Bridge of Brisbane, the largest cantilever bridge of Australia that gives a perfect look of the metropolis.
- Relish the lively atmosphere of Queen Street, a pedestrian street of Brisbane popular for dining and shopping.
- View a large collection of historic, modern and contemporary arts in Queensland Art Gallery of Brisbane.
- Hike to Mount Coot Tha, a suburb of Brisbane where you can find the cute koalas.
- Feel fresh while roaming the riverside Brisbane City Botanic Gardens and have a fantastic view of the city's skyscrapers.
- Round over the ANZAC Square and see the cozy war memorial, a heritage site between the high skyscrapers.
Popular food to try in Brisbane comprises of Japanese curry, wurst, Sauerkraut, potato salad with many more Australian food options.
Best time to visit Brisbane is from March till May during autumn season.
How to reach Brisbane? Book a flight to Brisbane Airport to get access to the city.
Sydney - most popular destination in Australia
Sydney, the glittering harbor of Australia is the largest city of the continent world famous for the sunbathed beaches, cultural landmarks and enchanting water life.
Top things to do in Sydney –
- Get amazed to see the Sydney Opera House, a multi purpose performing arts venue with an outlandish sail shape.
- Walk on the popular Sydney Harbor Bridge, a brilliant bridge with the Pylon lookout built in 1932.
- Dine along the riverside in the amazing Darling Harbor and spend a perfect night out with friends.
- Enjoy lunch and picnic in Hyde Park, the oldest parkland of Australia also a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Do sailing in the Jackson Bay where you can see the opera and city skyscrapers while watching whales.
- Shop in departmental stores and huge malls of Sydney CBD, the main business street of the city.
- Progress to The Rocks, a neighborhood alongside Harbor Bridge to treat yourself with street food and handmade fashion.
Popular food to try in Sydney consists of kangaroo meat, fish and chips, seafood and modern Australian food.
Best time to visit Sydney is from September till November or from March till May .
How to reach Sydney? Book a flight to Sydney Airport located just 8 km away from the city centre.