15 Top Cities of Bangladesh - Best travel and holiday destinations
Updated 8 Apr, 2020
Add to trip
Bangladesh, a small South Asian country on the Bay of Bengal, bordered by India in the North, West and South side is off the beaten path for your next holiday.
The dense delta forests of the Brahmaputra river are dream spots for any travelers. The lush greenery with a rich past must be explored by a visitor in Bangladesh.
Bangladesh has some of the world's best travel destinations and cities; read along to find the inspiration for your next trip.
Dhaka - capital city of Bangladesh
Dhaka is the capital and largest city of Bangladesh and the economic center of the country. This 17th century city was once a major Mughal residence.
Top things to do in Dhaka –
- Travel over the Lalbagh Fort, a 17th century incomplete Mughal fort complex with beautiful gardens.
- Come across Jatiya Sangsad Bhaban, one of the largest legislative complexes in the world.
- Admire the Indo Saracenic Revival architecture of the Ahsan Manzil.
- Visit the 12th century Dhakeshwari Temple, considered as the national temple of Bangladesh.
- Spot large species of native and non native animals in Bangladesh National Zoo.
- Round over Shaheed Minar commemorating the Bengali language movements during 1952 in east Pakistan.
- Get inside the striking Star Mosque, an elegant mosque with motifs of blue stars.
Popular food to try in Dhaka comprises local Bangladeshi food with Chinese, Indian and Thai flavors.
Best time to visit Dhaka is from mid November to early March.
How to reach Dhaka? Book a flight to Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport to get access to the city.
Bogra - cultural capital of Bangladesh
Bogra is a large city and commercial center of Bangladesh known as the capital of North part of the country and oldest city of Bangladesh.
Top things to do in Bogra –
- Explore the archaeological site of Mahasthangarh , an 8th century old landmark and one of oldest ruins found in Bangladesh.
- Hop the panoramic site of Gokul Medh, a vast landmark with green spaces in the village of Gokul.
- Discover many lively sets of objects in the antique rich surrounding of the small Mahasthangarh Museum.
- Take a city break in large and green Bogra Edward Pouro Park.
- Delight yourself with the rich history cuisine of the town.
- Complete your trip after adoring the artistic objects in the Palace Museum and Amusement Park.
Popular food to try in Bogra comprises Bograr Doi, biryani and many continental and Indian delicacies.
Best time to visit Bogra is from January till May or from September till November.
How to reach Bogra? The city is easily accessible by booking a flight to Bogra Airport.
Bashundhara City - top shopping destination in Bangladesh
Bashundhara City is the second largest shopping mall of Bangladesh and one of largest in South Asia located in the city of Dhaka.
Top things to do in Bashundhara City –
- Hop more than two thousand shops of every kind flanked over the mall complex.
- Shop everything from national to international brands like Bata, Nokia and Samsung.
- Entertain yourself and watch local and international films in the multi theatre.
- Food connoisseurs can visit the food court with more than 100 shops with international flavors.
- Take your children to the Toggi World, a large indoor theme park in the mall.
- Play fun games in the vertical gaming zone of Ultimate Fun Factory Bashundhara.
Best time to visit Bashundhara City is from 10 AM to 8 PM.
How to reach Bashundhara City? The mall is easily accessible from any point of Dhaka.
Sylhet - Sufi city of Bangladesh
Sylhet is a mountainous city in Bangladesh known for its Sufi shrines dotted in the city along with the striking natural region.
Top things to do in Sylhet –
- Feel holy while visiting the shrine of Hazrat Shahjalal Mazar Sharif. The largest airport of the country is named after him.
- Head to the Shahi Eidgah, a 17th century hilltop mosque built by emperor Aurangzeb.
- Progress to Osmani Museum dedicated to General Osmani, a commander in chief during the liberation war.
- Round over the Ali Amjad’s Clock, the oldest clock tower of Bangladesh.
- Walk on the pedestrian Keane Bridge and get scenic river and sunset views.
- Meander over the lush green plantations of Lakkatura Tea Gardens.
Best time to visit Sylhet is from October till March.
How to reach Sylhet? Book a flight to Osmani International Airport to access the town.
Cox’s Bazar - top beach destination in Bangladesh
Cox’s Bazar is a coastal town on the southeast coast of Bangladesh known for its long sandy beaches stretching over the town.
Top things to do in Cox’s Bazar –
- Relax and go for a long walk on Cox’s Bazar Beach, the longest natural sea beach in the world.
- Take lovely photographs of sunsets and the beachfront boats in the sandy Sea Beach.
- Track up to the Himchori Waterfall and adore the mesmerizing sunsets over the sea from here.
- Discover a huge marine animal species in Radiant Fish World, the largest aquarium of the country.
- Go for exploration of the tiny Sonadia Island off the coast to Cox’s Bazar.
Popular food to try in Cox’s Bazar consists of fried fish, pastas, shrimp, fish pizza, crepes, pancakes, seafood and Bengali food.
Best time to visit Cox’s Bazar is during the months of January, May and June.
How to reach Cox’s Bazar? Book a flight to Cox’s Bazar Airport to get access to the city.
Chittagong - most romantic destination in Bangladesh
Chittagong is a historic coastal town in Bangladesh famous for beautiful beaches and mountain beauty attracting honeymooners here.
Top things to do in Chittagong –
- Go for a romantic walk on Patenga Sea Beach, do boating in the waters and taste the street food from beachfront vendors.
- Take a boat trip in Foy’s Lake and cherish the jungle scene around here.
- Acquaint yourself with the tribal culture and history in Ethnography Museum of Chittagong.
- Locate the Chittagong War Cemetery, serene monument amidst a wonderful green garden.
- Visit the shrine of Bayazid Bostami, a famous Sufi with a pond where you can spot tortoises.
- Hike to Chandranath Hill to discover the natural richness of town.
Popular food to try in Chittagong comprises of Indian, Chinese, Thai, continental and Bangladeshi dishes.
Best time to visit Chittagong is between the period of September and March.
How to reach Chittagong ? Book a flight to Shah Amanat International Airport to access the city.
St. Martin Island - best island in Bangladesh
St. Martin Island is a small picturesque island off the coast to the mainland forming the southernmost tip of Bangladesh.
Top things to do in St. Martin Island –
- Soak up the sun in the long and broad West Beach of the island.
- Click some instagrammable shots of the cozy boats on the blue waters of sandy beaches.
- Tour the adjacent island of Chera Dwip that gets disconnected with the island during high tide.
- Enjoy an easy stay in the various seaside resorts offering a panoramic view of the sunsets and sea while listening to the waves.
- Taste the melodious street food from the local vendors.
- End your trip after a boat journey in the deep blue sea.
Best time to visit St. Martin Island is from September till November or from March till May.
How to reach St. Martin Island? Take a boat from the city of Chittagong to reach the island.
Sonargaon - historical capital of Bangladesh
Sonargaon is a historic city in Bangladesh known for its vibrant cultural landmarks and the Indo Saracenic townhouses of its neighbourhood.
Top things to do in Sonargaon –
- Know more about the tribal history of town in Sonargaon Museum.
- Visit Shilpacharya Zainul Folk Art and Craft Museum, a zippy riverside white building in Sonargaon.
- Adore the magnificent Taj Mahal Bangladesh, the copy of the world famous Taj Mahal in Sonargaon.
- Roam over the Panam city, the neighborhood of town known for its crumbling mansions.
- Pass the historic stoned Panam Bridge and stop to take views of the river.
- Hop the Goaldi Mosque, one of rare medieval landmarks of the country.
Best time to visit Sonargaon is from October till March.
How to reach Sonargaon? Take a bus from the city of Dhaka to reach the city.
Lawachara National Park - top family travel destination in Bangladesh
Lawachara National Park consisting of lush tropical rainforests is a large forest reserve in the northwestern part of the country.
Top things to do in Lawachara National Park –
- Take a boat ride in Baikka Beel, a sanctuary to protect the aquatic biodiversity particularly birds and fishes.
- Enjoy a lovely view of greenery of the landscape with your family in Madhabpur Lake.
- Move to the Tea Museum, know about the local tea and roam between the tea bushes.
- Spot the memorial park of Badhyabhumi 71, a striking red colored tower in the park.
- Educate your kids about diverse animal life in Shitesh Babu’s Zoo.
- Enjoy a cool stay in the refreshing resorts near the lakes.
Best time to visit Lawachara National Park is from November till April.
How to reach Lawachara National Park? Take a taxi or bus from the city of Dhaka to reach the national park.
Rajshahi - top backpacking destination in Bangladesh
Rajshahi is a large metropolitan city of Bangladesh located on the bank of Padma river. This fun university town is filled with numerous attractions.
Top things to do in Rajshahi –
- View outstanding relics and artifacts in Rajendra Museum, the oldest museum of Bangladesh in the city heart.
- Discover the large panoramic Padma gardens with the magnificent river views.
- Move to Boro Kuthi, an 18th century landmark built by the Dutch traders on the riverfront.
- Relish the beautiful interior of Jame Mosque after shopping in the busy Shaheb Bazaar.
- Come across the RU Martyrs Memorial Museum near the university of Rajshahi.
- Enjoy the amenities of hotels, restaurants and casinos of Zia Park.
Popular food to try in Rajshahi includes Luchi, vegetable curry and many Indian and Bangladeshi specialties.
Best time to visit Rajshahi is during the months of May, June and July.
How to reach Rajshahi? Book a flight to Shah Makhdum Airport to reach the city.
Jaflong - top instagrammable spot in Bangladesh
Jaflong is a popular hill station and a tourist spot in Bangladesh located in the northeastern part of the country known for its gardens and hilly forest.
Top things to do in Jaflong –
- Take amazing views of the lush green Meghalaya hills from the bank of the lovely Piyain river.
- Walk on the enchanting Jaflong Bridge providing an outlandish view of the entire landscape.
- Spot the sweeping Sengram Punji Waterfalls between the rich canopy and the mountain jungle.
- Travel over the Sengram Punji Khasia village and interact with the tribal Khasi people in the village.
- Take a boat ride on the Piain river and collect cute stones brought here by the river.
- Complete your journey after visiting the zero point area where you can take some instagrammable shots.
Best time to visit Jaflong is from June till September.
How to reach Jaflong ? Take a bus from the city of Sylhet to access the mountainous town.
Paharpur - top solo travel destination in Bangladesh
Paharpur is a prominent archeological site in Bangladesh that was inscribed as UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1985.
Top things to do in Paharpur –
- Step up the ancient bricked stares of the Paharpur Bihar Museum.
- Maunder and do picnic in the spectacular green gardens of the museum.
- Adore the sacred architecture of Hinda-Qasbah Shahi Mosque.
- Enjoy with your kids in Shishu Udyan with stone sculptures of faces and kids.
- Find a large mound and other brick structures in Halud Vihara.
- Locate Lakma Palace, the remains of a historic landmark in a large garden.
Best time to visit Paharpur is from October till March. The site is open from 8 AM to 6 PM.
How to reach Paharpur? Take a bus, taxi or car from the city of Dhaka to reach the site.
Comilla - most beautiful town in Bangladesh
Comilla is a beautiful town in Bangladesh located in the district of Chittagong in eastern part of the country.
Top things to do in Comilla –
- Explore the 7th century Buddhist site of Shalmon Vihara with more than 115 cells for monks.
- Enjoy thrilling rides in Magic Paradise Park popular for the castle style building of the park.
- Find more than 700 commonwealth burials of World War II in Mainamati War Cemetery.
- Take a nature leap around Dharmasagar pond, a huge man made pond of war time.
- Capture the dinosaur sculptures while exploring the marvelous Dino Park.
- Feel holy while worshipping in Comilla Jagannath Temple.
Best time to visit Comilla is from April to October.
How to reach Comilla? Take a bus, taxi or car from the city of Chittagong to reach the town.
Barisal - top place to explore locals in Bangladesh
Barisal is a major river port in Bangladesh that is famous for its paddy agriculture making the city a rice producing center of Bangladesh.
Top things to do in Barisal –
- Live the real Bangladeshi life while meeting familiar locals in Banaripara floating rice market.
- Relish a cruise trip over the popular Barisal Launch Ghat.
- Visit the Oxford Mission Church, a Christian church considered as the second largest in Asia.
- Jump to 30 Godown and cherish a boat ride in the river.
- Hop the lush paddy plantations and see farmers working on their fields.
- Increase your knowledge about the town by visiting Barisal Divisional Museum.
Best time to visit Barisal is from December till February.
How to reach Barisal? Take a boat from the city of Dhaka to reach the town in an enjoyable way.
Sundarbans - most popular destination in Bangladesh
Sundarbans, a cluster of low lying islands and a mangrove forest in the Bay of Bengal spreading from Hooghly river in India to Bangladesh is a world famous natural wonder.
Top things to do in Sundarbans –
- Go on a morning boat ride along its creeks and canals being the lifeline of the entire forest system.
- Walk on its walking trails that lead you to deep jungles and the open fields and spot some rare wild animals including the royal Bengal tiger.
- Step up to the watchtower offering stunning views of the whole forest area during evening.
- Spend some time in Jamtola Sea Beach, the quietest beach in Bangladesh due to its remote location.
- Stay in a houseboat and listen to the tranquilizing voice of nature while gazing at the sky.
- Tour Kotka Wildlife Sanctuary to see crocodiles, deer and other animals.
- Unveil the Ganga dolphins that are not found anywhere else in the world.
Sundarbans form the largest mangrove forest and delta system in the world.
You have to take a tour to access the Sundarbans as you cannot go here on your own.
Popular food to try in Sundarbans consists of prawns, fish curry, lobster, rice pudding, cottage cheese and pancakes.
Best time to visit Sundarbans is from September till March.
How to reach Sundarbans? Take a bus to Khulna from where you can take a boat to reach the forest.