15 Top Cities of Barbados - Best travel and holiday destinations
Updated 8 Apr, 2020
Add to trip
Barbados, a small independent British Commonwealth island on the eastern Caribbean that is justifiably famed for its many fantastic beaches.
Nicknamed as ‘the land of flying fish’, the various port cities, cricket, fine powdery sands, the afternoon tea culture and the plantation houses attract a large number of visitors in this Caribbean paradise.
Barbados has some of the world's best travel destinations and cities; read along to find the inspiration for your next trip.
Bridgetown - most developed city in Barbados
Bridgetown is the capital city of Barbados filled with landmarks of historical importance as well as excellent shops and cafes.
Top things to do in Bridgetown –
- Visit George Washington House where the first US President, George Washington visited in 1751.
- Entertain yourself with a cricket match, the national sport of Barbados in Kensington Oval Stadium.
- Watch a horse race in the Garrison Savannah horse track just outside the city.
- Relax on the golden Pebbles beach and see people bathing horses in the sea during morning.
- Go for paddle boarding ,swimming and kayaking in the cool turquoise waters of the port.
- See numerous historical collections in Barbados Museum and Historical Society.
- Enjoy fine dining in eateries and cocktail bars while sunbathing in the calm Rockley beach.
Popular food to try in Bridgetown consists of Cou Cou, fried flying fish, pudding, souse, seafood, meats and refreshing drinks.
Best time to visit Bridgetown is from December till April.
How to reach Bridgetown? Book a flight to Grantley Adams International Airport to get access to the city.
Oistins - top food destination in Barbados
Oistins is a small fishing village on the southwestern coast of the nation that is famous for its Friday food scene and shopping arcades.
Top things to do in Oistins –
- Wander the whole city during Fridays when you can feel a carnival like atmosphere around the city.
- Taste the Oistins fish fry, the most famous dish and a symbol of the city in the huts around beaches along with tasting many more local delicacies .
- Adore the picturesque sea with surfing, windsurfing or kitesurfing along its active beaches.
- Get perfect sunset views and watch a TV show called Miami Vice on Miami beach.
- Get sporty while playing golf in Barbados Golf Club.
- Listen to the voice of the moonlit waves while relaxing in the Dover beach.
Popular food to try in Oistins comprises flying fish cutters, fishcakes, roti and pudding.
Best time to visit Oistins is during the months of September, October and November.
How to reach Oistins? Take a public transport from the city of Bridgetown to reach the town.
Saint Lawrence Gap - top nightlife destination in Barbados
Saint Lawrence Gap also called ‘The Gap' is the most famous neighborhood in the parish of Christ Church known for nightlife and shopping.
Best time to visit Saint Lawrence Gap –
- Stroll through the Gap during night revealing a number of dazzling nightclubs.
- Get inside the Cove and enjoy music of every kind like calypso, reggae, rhythm and blues.
- Sample the local fare of food vendors that assemble around the Gap.
- Sip up the whilst cocktails prepared by the top Barbadian mixologists.
- Buy kitchen items, crafts and many souvenirs in the variety of shops and convenience stores .
- End your trip after swimming in the beautiful white sandy beaches in front of hotels and condos.
Best time to visit Saint Lawrence Gap is from December till February.
How to reach Saint Lawrence Gap? Take a bus from the city of Bridgetown to reach the neighborhood.
Holetown - top shopping destination in Barbados
Holetown is a small fishing town in the parish of Saint James where you can enjoy shopping, snorkeling and live music venues.
Top things to do in Holetown –
- Do shopping and browsing in Chattel village, a vibrant collection of shops with serene flowery gardens.
- Shop fashion, art, gifts, t-shirts, gourmets and souvenirs in many shops flanked over the city.
- Meander over the lovely West Coast Boardwalk with some pretty sunset views.
- Attend the annual Holetown festival during February, a chance to experience zippy culture, music and art.
- Relish activities like see bathing, swimming and kayaking on its pristine beaches.
- Dance the night away and savor creative cocktails especially during Fridays and Saturdays.
Popular food to try in Holetown comprises flying fish, dolphin fish, chicken, steaks, curry, ribs, Rasta pasta and many Bajan delicacies.
Best time to visit Holetown is during the months of December, January, February and March.
How to reach Holetown? The town is easily accessible by taking a taxi or car from the Grantley Adams International Airport.
Fitts Village - top romantic destination in Barbados
Located on the west coast of Barbados, Fitts Village is a tiny fishing town that is known for its relaxed Caribbean vibe and beaches.
Top things to do in Fitts Village –
- Enjoy snorkeling in the clear blue waters where you can explore several reefs.
- Do swimming over the beaches and spot the rare sea turtles.
- Soak up the sun while relaxing with your partner under the shade of trees and admiring the sea and the sun.
- Hop the beachfront Italian restaurants with a romantic seaside setting.
- Gift your partner a perfect tropical wedding experience in Church of the Good Shepherd.
- Marvel the sophisticated rum shops and rustic bars found in almost every street corner.
Best time to visit Fitts Village is from December to April.
How to reach Fitts Village? Take a bus or taxi from the city of Holetown to reach the village.
Barbados Wildlife Reserve - top place to explore wildlife in Barbados
Barbados Wildlife Reserve is a wildlife park of about 4 acres, an area of mahogany forests in the parish of Saint Peter.
Top things to do in Barbados Wildlife Reserve –
- Maunder freely through the reserve getting a chance to see animals in their natural environment.
- Find species like Barbadian green monkeys, peacocks, macaws, pigeons, parrots, deer and caimans.
- Observe the animals that can be seen eating, playing and interacting with other animals.
- Reptile lovers can appreciate the collection of snakes, iguanas and tortoises that can be seen taking rest under banana trees.
- Hike up to the Farley Hill offering some enchanting views of the whole landscape.
The ticket price for adults is 15$ and for kids is 7.50$.
Best time to visit Barbados Wildlife Reserve is from January until May. The park is open from 10 AM to 5 PM.
How to reach Barbados Wildlife Reserve? Take a bus from the Bridgetown city to access the wildlife park.
St. Nicolas Abbey - top sugar lover destination in Barbados
St. Nicholas Abbey is a famous distillery and museum in Barbados located in the parish of Saint Peter. The museum is one of only three genuine Jacobean mansions in western hemisphere.
Top things to do in St. Nicholas Abbey –
- Take a tour of this great house to admire the architectural and historical furnishings
- Discover the well preserved curved Dutch gables, a Chinese Chippendale staircase, chimney stacks and antiques.
- Watch China, a rare movie of 1930 about the sugar plantation life.
- Purchase rum and other sugar products in the gift shop and see distillery working.
- Roam the beautiful natural gullies landscaped with beautiful mahogany and silk cotton trees.
- Take an exciting train ride adventure for an amazing view of the plantation and the scenic Cherry Hill.
Best time to visit St. Nicholas Abbey is from November till March.
How to reach St. Nicholas Abbey? The distillery is easily accessible by taking a bus or taxi from the city of Bridgetown.
Welchman Hall Gully - top family travel destination in Barbados
Welchman Hall Gully is a three quarter long forest gully in Barbados that is perfect for tourists of all ages for nature exploration.
Top things to do in Welchman Hall Gully –
- Learn about the history of grapefruit that is considered to have originated in Welchman Hall Gully during the 17th century.
- Walk through its shaded paths and see the country as it appeared to the early settlers.
- Watch monkeys walking on specially built platforms, swinging on vines and grooming each other on trees.
- Cherish a spectacular view of the east coast and feel abundance of life tucked in this collapsed cave.
- Take your kids to children’s adventure park where they can swing on trees, walk on tightropes or do zip lining.
- Enjoy a perfect birthday party while camping amidst the rainforest trees with your kids.
Popular food to try in Welchman Hall Gully consists of fishcakes, freshly brewed coffee and cold banks beer.
Best time to visit Welchman Hall Gully is between the period of November and April.
How to reach Welchman Hall Gully? Take a bus from the capital city of Barbados to reach the gully.
Harrison’s Cave - top cave destination in Barbados
Located in the heart of the island, Harrison’s Cave is one of the most significant and popular attractions of Barbados.
Top things to do in Harrison’s Cave –
- Uncover the hilly and rocky land with a massive underground system of rivers, lakes and caves supplying delicious drinking water.
- Marvel the breathtaking stalagmites and stalactites around the pools formed after thousands of years.
- Take a tram tour, the most famous way of exploring the whole network of this expansive cave.
- Get adventurous while walking alongside a spectacular waterfall that goes directly to a deep pool.
- Plan an unforgettable wedding day in the natural richness of this prestigious cave.
Best time to visit Harrison’s Cave is from November until March.
How to reach Harrison’s Cave? Take a car, taxi or bus from the city of Bridgetown to reach the cave.
Bathsheba - top beach destination in Barbados
Bathsheba is the main fishing village of the parish of Saint Joseph known for its quaint churches and active beaches.
Top things to do in Bathsheba –
- Soak in the invigorating Bathsheba pools and feel alive while breathing the breezing air.
- Unearth the dramatic rock formations against the Atlantic creating a cascade of foam looking quite scenic.
- Get familiar with the small community of fishing folk and their families.
- Do picnicking in the alluring Bathsheba park also giving an opportunity to take some mesmerizing photographs.
- Enjoy in a number of rum shops, restaurants, guest houses and cozy cottages near the shore.
- Roam the beautiful Andromeda Botanic Gardens and see tropical plants, trees and flowers.
Best time to visit Bathsheba is from late January to early April.
How to reach Bathsheba? Take a bus or taxi from the main airport of Barbados to reach the town.
Carlisle Bay - top solo travel destination in Barbados
Carlisle Bay is a crescent shaped bay on the parish of Saint Michael on the west coast of the island adjoining the capital city of the country.
Top things to do in Carlisle Bay –
- Take photographs of the catamarans and the luxurious yachts anchored here in the bay.
- Ramble a relaxed and friendly atmosphere in Coconut Court, a lux resort located near the bay.
- Acquaint yourself with Bajan culture with a celebration of Rhythm Bajan Heritage Show where you can experience the island through music.
- Do snorkeling and scuba diving in the deep waters of the marine park of the bay.
- Spot marine wildlife like seahorses, rays, eels, turtles and more in the clear Caribbean waters of the bay.
- Move to the Bay Street Esplanade in the evening to adore some most beautiful sunsets of Barbados.
Best time to visit Carlisle Bay is during December, January, February, March and April.
How to reach Carlisle Bay? Take a car or taxi from the city of Bridgetown to access the bay.
Animal Flower Cave - top nature’s lover destination in Barbados
Animal Flower Cave is a remote cave on the parish of Saint Lucy on the north point of Barbados situated on a cliff.
Top things to do in Animal Flower Cave –
- Uncover the sea anemones found in the pool of the caves, the reason behind the name of the cave.
- Have an amazing view of the Caribbean Sea from the holes on the cliffs.
- Get amazed to see some unusual formations that have been turned green and brown with oxidation of copper and iron.
- Step up to the cliff top bars and restaurants to delight yourself while cherishing the huge Atlantic waves.
- Kids can enjoy adventure activities in the lively play park.
- Visit the store here and shop local jewelry, art and crafts.
Popular food to try in Animal Flower Cave comprises lemonade, refreshing drinks, local dishes and a variety of cutters.
Best time to visit Animal Flower Cave is from December till March.
How to reach Animal Flower Cave? Take a bus, taxi or car from the capital city to reach the cave.
Speightstown - cultural capital of Barbados
Speightstown is the second largest town in Barbados located in the parish of Saint Peter in the northern part of the island.
Top things to do in Speightstown –
- Travel over many undisturbed beaches of the town that are sure worth to relax and enjoy the sea.
- Know about the history of the colonial buildings dating back to the early settlement of Barbados.
- Look at some fascinating Caribbean art pieces in Gallery of the Caribbean Arts, the only art gallery in Caribbean dedicated to Caribbean art.
- Experience life of the Bygone era in Arlington House Museum.
- Stroll on the Speightstown Esplanade to get an adorable view of sunsets.
Popular food to try in Speightstown includes flying fish, cassava, yam, breadfruit, beer and local rum.
Best time to visit Speightstown is from mid December to early April.
How to reach Speightstown? Take a bus, taxi or car from the city of Holetown to reach the town.
Maycocks Bay - top adventure destination in Barbados
Maycocks Bay is an airbrushed bay area in the northern part of the island in the parish of Saint Lucy known as a diving spot.
Top things to do in Maycocks Bay –
- Climb up to the clifftop offering an enchanting view of the bay while feeling the quietness of this paradise.
- Track down to the south on foot that will surely make your adrenaline rush.
- Do snorkeling and diving in the strong wavy waters of the bay where you spot even sharks and whales.
- Relax and enjoy sea bathing in the golden sandy beaches of River Bay.
- Explore the 169 meter long wreck ‘the Pamir’ located just outside the Maycocks Bay.
- Adventure yourself like kiteboarding, kitesurfing and surfing.
Best time to visit Maycocks Bay is from December till early April.
How to reach Maycocks Bay? Take a car from the capital city. Getting to the bay is also quite adventurous.
Martin’s Bay - gateway of Caribbean
Martin’s Bay is a micro fishing town located on the east coast of the island in the parish of Saint John.
Top things to do in Martin’s Bay –
- Soak in the small pools along the sea created by the shallow reefs.
- Meet and see local fishermen catching lobsters near the intriguing rock formations on the sea.
- Taste the melodious food in Bay Tavern Restaurant known for its Thursday seafood time.
- Climb onto the cliffs overlooking the coast on the southern end of the bay.
- Hike the secluded old train line to the untouched Bath beach.
- Capture the healing aloof sunrise over the sea characterized by rocks from the bay.
Popular food to try in Martin’s Bay comprises seafood, snappers, sweet potato pie, rice and cake.
Best time to visit Martin’s Bay is from January till April.
How to reach Martin’s Bay? The town is easily accessible by taking a taxi or bus from the city of Bathsheba.