16 Top Cities of Canada - Best travel and holiday destinations
Updated 8 Apr, 2020
Add to trip
Canada, the second largest country in World in the northern part of North America that has an endless variety of untouched landscapes making Canada a major tourist attraction.
Canada is well known for its glorified mountains and lakes, busy harbors, the extraordinary meals, secluded beaches, maple syrup and the extreme cold winters. The country has some best road trip opportunities in the world.
Canada has some of the world's best travel destinations and cities; read along to find the inspiration for your next trip.
Ottawa - capital city of Canada
Situated along the Ottawa river, Ottawa is the capital city of Canada that has everything to offer to tourists from the rich culture and history to outdoor adventures.
Top things to do in Ottawa –
- Witness the awe inspiring sound and light show projected on Parliament Hill, seat of the country's federal government.
- Know more about Canada’s culture and history in the National Gallery of Canada and Canada War Museum.
- Cherish the panoramic 360° views of the river and Parliament Hill from the Peace Tower.
- Get a dazzling shopping experience with a lively food and night scene in the ByWard Market.
- Hop along the adorable Rideau Canal winding through the heart of the city with boating and ice skating in winter.
- Get an adrenaline rush with white river rafting and kayaking in the rapid waters of Ottawa river.
- Head to the National Arts Theatre and enjoy a lineup of music, dance, theatre and other performing arts.
- Attend the annual Canadian Tulip Festival during the month of May with more than a million tulips throughout the city.
Popular food to try in Ottawa comprises beaver tails, maple syrup, pasta, Shawarma, wild blueberries, cheddar cheese, pea meal bacon with global cuisines.
Best time to visit Ottawa is during the months of March, April and May.
How to reach Ottawa? Book a flight to Ottawa International Airport to get access to the city.
Yaletown - top shopping destination in Canada
Bordered by the Homer and Robson streets, Yaletown is a vibrant part of downtown Vancouver peninsula known for old warehouse buildings.
Top things to do in Yaletown –
- Walk, jog, bike or skate through the Seawall and adore a stunning public art sprinkled along the waterfront.
- Adore a perfect brunch , afternoon drink and dinner in the sunny urban patios.
- Spend an evening in its luxe lounges, lively dance floor filled clubs along with an amusing cocktail scene.
- Roam through the cool and quirky designer boutiques, indie fashion shops perfect for window shopping.
- Buy designer dog clothing, modern bathtubs, historic hats, homewares, fashion products and many freakish things.
- Visit the Roundhouse Community Centre displaying the first transcontinental passenger train into the city.
Popular food to try in Yaletown consists of many Asian delicacies with Shish kebab, salads and sandwiches.
Best time to visit Yaletown is from April till October during summer months.
How to reach Yaletown? Take a train from the city of Vancouver to access the downtown.
Calgary - food capital of Canada
Calgary is a large metropolitan city in the province of Alberta situated at the confluence of Bow and Elbow river giving an exotic dining experience.
Top things to do in Calgary –
- Be a part of many major events while meandering along the trails of Prince Island’s Park.
- Treat yourself with an explosion of independent restaurants run by the young bold chefs.
- Get delighted with the mouth watering dishes while relishing the city views from the Calgary Tower’s revolving restaurant.
- Progress to Fort Calgary, a wooden fort built in 1875 with historic displays, the first building of the city.
- Travel over the Heritage Park Historical Village featuring working antiques and seasonal recreations with actors.
- Enjoy with the family in the large Calgary Zoo filled with the sculptures of dinosaurs.
- Do shopping in the East Village’s hip stores, clothing shops and fancy eateries.
Popular food to try in Calgary consists of ginger beef, steak cuts, Gouda, Brassica mustard, mini doughnuts, bacon and Bloody Mary sauce.
Best time to visit Calgary is from late May to late September.
How to reach Calgary? Book a flight to Calgary International Airport to reach the city.
Montreal - cultural capital of Canada
Montreal, the largest city of Quebec province that ranges from the French streets to the ultramodern skyscrapers known for hosting many international events.
Top things to do in Montreal –
- Admire the magnificent Gothic revival architecture of the Notre Dame Basilica of Montreal.
- Maunder across the sprawling Botanical Gardens showcasing thermal gardens and greenhouses.
- Hike from the pathways to the top of Mount Royal and get an overwhelming view of the city from the lookout.
- Cherish upscale dining while wandering through the narrow cobblestoned streets of the French era old town.
- View a large exhibit of Canadian and global antiquities in the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts.
- Attend the International Jazz Festival and Just For Laugh Comedy Festival brightening your cultural visit.
- Tour the port area of Montreal and do shopping, dining, wandering and art exploration.
Popular food to try in Montreal includes bagels, smoked meat sandwich with chips, pickle, Shish Taouk and Swiss cheese.
Best time to visit Montreal is between the period of April and September.
How to reach Montreal? Book a flight to Montreal Pierre Elliott Trudeau Airport to get access to the city.
Toronto - most developed city in Canada
Toronto, the dynamic metropolitan city of Canada characterized by the soaring skyscrapers and the beautiful lake scenery is a major destination in Canada.
Top things to do in Toronto –
- Come across the Royal Ontario Museum displaying a range of cultural and natural exhibits.
- Climb up to the high rising notable CN Tower and get breathtaking views of the whole city and Ontario Lake.
- Shop in the spacious St. Lawrence Market, a large public market with 100+ vendors, bakers, butchers and artisans.
- Travel over the Casa Loma and marvel at the grand royal gothic revival design of the landmark with seasonal gardens.
- Dine and drink beer and cigarettes cocktails in a plenty of restaurant patios overlooking the Ontario Lake.
- Move to the Art Gallery of Ontario and view a huge collection of Canadian and European masterworks.
- Take a city break, relax amidst the green spaces and do many sporty and educational activities in the High Park.
Popular food to try in Toronto consists of pea meal bacon sandwich, veal sandwich, chicken Shawarma, Pasteis de Nat, patties and sausages.
Best time to visit Toronto is from mid April to May or from early September until October.
How to reach Toronto? The city is easily reachable by booking a flight to Toronto Pearson International Airport.
Niagara on the Lake - top romantic destination in Canada
Niagara on the Lake is an adorable town in the southern part of Ontario on the shore of Ontario Lake that lives romance, a loveable place to go for a honeymoon.
Top things to do in Niagara on the Lake –
- Take a horse drawn carriage tour along the historic old town streets of the town with red brick Victorian buildings.
- Sit on a patio with your partner and drink a glass of famous local wine while breathing the flowery air.
- Book a guided wine tour and explore more than 28 wineries in the town producing the elegant red wine and ice wine.
- Do a lot of window shopping, walk along the lakefront and fall in love with the amazing sunsets.
- Go for a cycle journey along the Niagara Pathway where you can see many waterfalls and reach Canadian Niagara river.
- Come around the Fort George National Historic Site, the scene of several battles during the war of 1812.
Best time to visit Niagara on the Lake is during May, June, July and August.
How to reach Niagara on the Lake? Take a car from the city of Toronto to access the town.
Tofino - top beach destination in Canada
Tofino is a small district off the west coast of Canada, a part of Vancouver Island that is famous for its many beaches and natural richness.
Top things to do in Tofino –
- Walk on the magnificent 16 km long sandy stretch of Long Beach, a flat and incredibly wide beach during low tides.
- Go for surfing in the miles of endless beaches of this surfers’ paradise along Chesterman Beach and Cox Bay.
- Book a whale watching tour and spot gray whales, humpback whales as well as orcas.
- Explore the stunning Clayoquot Sound with kayaking where you get to see many inlets and islands.
- Relax meanwhile in the pretty Botanical Garden of Tofino with rhododendron blooms during spring.
- Get mesmerizing views of the distant mountains and beautiful sea from the Radar Hill.
- End your trip after relishing the views of the buzzing landscape with a flight tour.
Popular food to try in Tofino includes chowder, fish taco, tofu pockets, pasta, pizza, sandwich, sushi, scones and seafood.
Best time to visit Tofino is during the months of February, March, July, August and September.
How to reach Tofino? Book a flight to Tofino Long Beach Airport to get access to the city.
Whitehorse - top solo travel destination in Canada
Famous as the Wilderness City, Whitehorse is surely worth visiting with its spectacular scenery that is situated on the bank of Yukon river in Yukon province.
Top things to do in Whitehorse –
- Go for a hiking adventure in the Miles Canyon Basalts, the site of a former gold rush town.
- Jump to the SS Klondike, the name of two vintage sternwheelers that is now a national historic site.
- Get sporty with canoeing in the waters of the Yukon river and do fishing of trouts in Lake Laberge.
- Day out to the Yukon Wildlife Reserve and find out bison, moose and caribou.
- Get healed with a thermal bath in the geothermal pools of Takhini and go hiking to notice the northern lights.
- Look at the aboriginal art displayed at the riverfront Kwanlin Dun Cultural Centre.
- Move to the Yukon Beringia Interpretive Centre and see Beringian history exhibits with archeological sites.
Popular food to try in Whitehorse comprises reindeer and bison meat, coffee, chocolates, pastries, sandwiches and beer.
Best time to visit Whitehorse is during April, May, September and October.
How to reach Whitehorse ? Book a flight to Erik Nielsen Whitehorse International Airport to get access to the town.
Quebec City - most French town of Canada
Situated along the Saint Lawrence river, Quebec City is a handsome town known for its French colonial architecture and cobbled streets.
Top things to do in Quebec City –
- Upscale yourself with staying, posh dining and admiring city views from the historic castle of Fairmont Le Château Frontenac.
- Attend the guard ceremonies and travel over the active fort and museum of La Citadelle de Québec.
- Walk on the cobblestone alleyways and stairways of the charming lower old town of Quebec with a heart touching view.
- Shop and dine in the independent boutiques, galleries and restaurants of the Quartier Du Petit Champlain zone.
- Admire the great architecture of Notre Dame De Quebec Basilica Cathedral, Canada’s oldest church.
- Feel the tranquilizing voice of the quintessential Montmorency Falls near the downtown.
- Round over the Plains of Abraham, the site of the battle of Plain of Abraham.
Popular food to try in Quebec City includes Tourtiere, poutine, buckwheat pancakes, Feves Au Lard, cretons and pouding Chomeur.
Best time to visit Quebec City is from June to September or from December till February.
How to reach Quebec City ? The city is easily accessible by booking a flight to Quebec City Jean Lesage International Airport.
Whistler - top skiing destination in Canada
Whistler is one of the largest ski resorts in North America situated on the Blackcomb Mountains having a cozy mountain village.
Top things to do in Whistler –
- Ski in the two peaks of Mount Whistler and Mount Blackcomb with more than 200 runs and 34 ski lifts.
- Ride on a Peak 2 Peak Gondola, an elevated 4km long ride between the two mountains and adore the breathtaking scenery.
- Watch a collection of weavings, carvings and stories of local Squamish and Lil’wat people in Squamish Lil’wat Cultural Centre.
- Climb and hike the Garibaldi Provincial Park, cherish the alpine forests and detect many colorful wildflowers.
- Know about the early days of the village while watching the interesting exhibits in Whistler Museum.
- Do mountain biking, hiking and birdwatching in summer, snowshoeing and cross country skiing in winter around Lost Lake.
- Day out in a number of many alpine villages located near the town.
Popular food to try in Whistler consists of croissants, sandwich, pies, scones, bacon donut and pasta.
Best time to visit Whistler is from June till August or from December until March.
How to reach Whistler? Take a car from the city of Vancouver to access the mountainous village.
Prince Edward Island - top family travel destination in Canada
Prince Edward Island is one of the easternmost provinces of Canada that is famous for its red sandy beaches, lighthouses and small villages.
Top things to do in Prince Edward Island –
- Take a coastal drive through the beachside roads of the island with your family and feel the amazing scenery.
- Relax in the smooth warm sands backed by the red sandstone cliffs and clear blue sky while listening to the voice of white capped waves.
- Trip to the Green Gables House, a restored farmhouse for Anne fans, enjoy Sunday picnics and walking tours here.
- Get lost in the small quaint village of Avonlea known for its warm hospitality, good shops and restaurants.
- Marvel the marvelous gothic revival architecture of the St. Dunstan’s Basilica Cathedral.
- Locate the various lighthouses dotted along the shoreline of the island, having an important place in island’s history.
- Do adventures like kayaking, deep sea fishing, windsurfing, sport fishing and camping here.
Popular food to try in Prince Edward Island consists of oyster, mussels, potatoes, lobsters and seafood.
Best time to visit Prince Edward Island is from mid July to mid August.
How to reach Prince Edward Island? Book a flight to Charlottetown Airport for getting access to the island.
Waterton Lakes National Park - top nature’s lover destination in Canada
Dazzling with outstanding scenery, Waterton Lakes National Park is a pristine piece of natural space known for its chain of lakes, a dream for any nature lover.
Top things to do in Waterton Lakes National Park –
- Get thrilled while hiking across the Great Divide Trail and get jaw dropping views of the entire landscape.
- Do fishing and boating in the chilling water of Cameroon Lake or gaze at the majestic mountains during camping.
- Hike over the Red Rock Canyon, a fabulous place to hang out while relishing the views of the sturdy nature.
- Challenge yourself with climbing in the most beloved trails of the Waterton Glacier and Carthew Alderson.
- Book an excellent stay in the luxurious Prince of Wales Hotel and get a fantastic view of the glacier mountains.
- Spot wildlife like deer, bighorn sheep, elk, moose, snowshoe hares and more during a winter visit in the national park.
Popular food to try in Waterton Lakes National Park comprises tacos, burritos, Saskatoon berries, buffalo, bagels and local dishes.
Best time to visit Waterton Lakes National Park is from May until September.
How to reach Waterton Lakes National Park? Take a car or taxi from the city of Calgary to access the national park.
Niagara Falls - top waterfall destination in Canada
Niagara Falls is a city in the province of Ontario that is world famous for the splendid Niagara Falls consisting of Horseshoe, American and Bridal Veil Falls.
Top things to do in Niagara Falls –
- Get an impressive view of the whole waterfall while walking above the walkway stretching over the fall and lit up during night.
- Take a Hornblower cruise that brings you to the base of the massive three falls in the catamaran boats.
- Marvel the bird’s-eye view of the spectacular fall from the 235 meter Skylon Tower with a revolving restaurant.
- Ride on the Whirlpool Aero Car and get a unique view of the swirling whirlpools of Niagara river below.
- Book a Whirlpool Jet Boat Tour and enjoy jet boat rides through the category 5 whitewater rapids.
- Drive along the Niagara Parkway, lined with parks and have many interesting sights along the way.
- Come across the Butterfly Conservatory that is home to more than 2000 flying butterflies in a tropical environment.
Popular food to try in Niagara Falls consists of soup du jour, potatoes, coleslaw, waffles, Shawarma, falafel, pizza, grilled salmon, lasagna and mushroom risotto.
Best time to visit Niagara Falls is from June until August.
How to reach Niagara Falls? Take a car from the city of Niagara on the Lake to access the falls.
Churchill - top place to explore polar bears in Canada
Churchill is a small town in the far north of Manitoba province on the coast of Hudson Bay famous as Polar Bear Capital of the World.
Top things to do in Churchill –
- Gaze the polar bears wandering onto the ice floes in the bay in search of seals.
- Tour into the Tundra buggies, a special type of vehicle with caged windows and large giant wheels to encounter the bears.
- Get amazed with an out of the world display of Aurora Borealis during wintertime in an aurora dome.
- Reveal and take photographs of the stunning Miss Piggy Plane Wreck, the wreck of a Commando aircraft.
- Wander around the Prince of Wales National Historic Site overlooking the Churchill river built to overcome fur trade
- Admire a rich collection of Inuit carvings and artifacts in the exceptional Itsanitaq Museum (Eskimo Museum).
- Get breathtaking views of the Churchill river from the Cape Mary.
Popular food to try in Churchill is elk meatloaf, bison stew and borealis burger.
Best time to visit Churchill is during October and November to see polar bears.
How to reach Churchill? Book a flight to Churchill Airport from major cities of Canada to access the town.
Vancouver - most popular destination in Canada
Buzzing over the western coast in British Columbia, Vancouver is a bustling metropolitan city known for its ethnic diversity, art, culture and sprawling mountains.
Top things to do in Vancouver –
- Take a boat tour or sightseeing cruise to admire the beauty of this one of world’s most beautiful metropolises in the world.
- Do walking, biking and cycling in the famous Stanley Park with a scenic seawall.
- Cover the iconic Capilano Suspension Bridge crossing the Capilano river and adore the lovely forest views.
- Show your kids interactive science displays and films in Science World at TELUS World of Science.
- Do skiing, snowboarding, tubing, biking and hiking in the year round destination of Cypress Mountains.
- Night out with friends in the lively raucous bars, nightclubs and pubs of downtown Vancouver.
- Locate the whistling Steam Clock and do shopping in the art galleries and décor stores of Gastown.
- Treat yourself with a melodious variety of delicacies in the waterfront restaurants.
Popular food to try in Vancouver includes sushi, Japanese style hotdog, salmon candy with maple syrup and seafood.
Best time to visit Vancouver is from April till October during dry months.
How to reach Vancouver? Book a flight to Vancouver International Airport to get access to the city.
Banff - most photographed place in Canada
One of Canada’s renowned spontaneous treasures, Banff is a fabulous town known for the natural bounty of Banff National Park.
Top things to do in Banff –
- Enjoy a luxuriant stay in the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel, a preserved castle-like hotel with amazing views of the region.
- Reach the top of Sulphur Mountain with a ride on a gondola, ramble the striking views roam along the sky walk.
- Do canoeing in the shimmering turquoise cool waters of the Louise Lake white looking at the snow capped peaks.
- Jump for a hiking adventure around Louise Lake where you get a picture perfect perspective of the entire area.
- Get tranquil while camping and picnicking in the superb Bow Valley Parkway with chances to spot wildlife.
- Capture lots of instagrammable shots of the many alpine lakes and mountains occupying the region.
- Pass the bridge over the steep cliffs of the Johnson’s Canyon leading you to the Ink Pots, a group of springs.
Popular food to try in Banff comprises steak, Caesar salad, raw fish, chicken bison, frog legs, fondue, chipotle and teriyaki along with Greek dishes.
Best time to visit Banff is from April till June or from December until March.
How to reach Banff? Take a car or taxi from the city of Calgary to access the town.