Top 15 cities to visit in Hungary - Best travel destinations
Updated 23 Jan, 2020
Add to trip
Hungary is a landlocked country in Central Europe that attracts a large number of tourists every year. It is quite famous for its beautiful capital city of Budapest, its many quaint villages and the picturesque scenery.
Hungary also has one of the most prominent thermal spring cultures in Europe.
Find best cities of Hungary for Nightlife, Honeymoon, Family holiday, culture trip and explore its beautiful mountains, lakes, valleys and river scenes.
Budapest - most popular destination in Hungary
Budapest is the largest and capital city of Hungary that is divided by the beautiful Danube river in two parts.
Budapest is considered as ‘Paris of the east’ with many culturally important landmarks.
Top things to do in Budapest
- Take a thermal bath at Budapest’s various thermal pools.
- Adore the world famous Budapest Parliament Building and Buda Castle.
- Go to the Castle Hill and get to Buda’s old town to see many historic museums.
- Enjoy stage performances at the Budapest Opera House.
- Hop to the Central Market Hall giving an opportunity to do some shopping.
- Explore many more landmarks of Budapest like Matthias Church, Heroes' Square, Szechenyi Chain Bridge and much more.
Popular food to try in Budapest includes Gyumolcsleves, Kolbasz, Dobos Torta, Kurtoskalacs and of course Goulash, the national dish of Hungary.
Best time to visit Budapest is from March to May or from September to November.
How to reach Budapest? the city can be reached easily by booking a flight to Budapest Ferenc Liszt International Airport.
Veszprem - cultural capital of Hungary
Veszprem is one of the oldest cities in Hungary located in the Central Transdanubia region in Hungary.
Top things to do in Veszprem
- Know about the rich history of Veszpremi Castle and Balaca Romai Villagedasag.
- Get sweeping views of the city from Veszprem Fire Watch Tower.
- Travel over the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Veszprem.
- Take your family to Kittenberger Kalman Zoo and Botanical Garden.
- Go skiing with Siarena Kft.
Popular food to try in Veszprem is the Ranolder cheese and local beer.
Veszprem is referred to as the City of Queens that has been renowned as the European Capital of Culture.
Best time to visit Veszprem is from mid June to early September.
How to reach Veszprem? you can take a bus or train from the city of Budapest to reach Veszprem.
Siofok, top nightlife destination in Hungary
Siofok is a town in Hungary located at the coast of Lake Balaton. This resort town is the main destination in Hungary for party goers.
Top things to do in Siofok
- Go with friends at various bars, restaurants and nightclubs.
- Enjoy an amazing night at Renegade Pub and Restaurant, La Siesta Cocktail Bar, Club Fort, Aqua Pub, Hanging Glass Pub Kult, Fun Bungee Pub, Bohem Café, Bacardi Music Café and Havana Club.
- Head to the Palace Dance Club for an extraordinary party experience.
- Complete your trip after exploring the lakeside area.
Popular food to try in Siofok includes a mix of European, Asian and Hungarian cuisines along with wine and beer.
Best time to visit Siofok is from June till September.
How to reach Siofok? you can book a flight to Siofok Kiliti Airport to get access to Siofok city.
Balatonalmadi - top beach destination in Hungary
Balatonalmadi is a beach resort town in Hungary located at the northern coast of Lake Balaton in Veszprem county.
Top things to do in Balatonalmadi
- Stroll along the Kaptalanfured beach, the most famous beach of town.
- Fabulous views from many scenic spots like Balatonfuzfoi Kilato, Kalvaria Kilato, Ovari Messzelato and Csere Hegyi Kilato.
- Explore the unconventional Balaton Csillagvizsgalo Balatonfuzfo ,a small museum in town.
- Enjoy with family and friends at the Parc De Loisirs De Balatonibobs..
The popular food to try in Balatonalmadi is the fresh Hungarian food with wine in restaurants with a view of Balaton Lake.
Best time to visit Balatonalmadi is from April to mid October.
How to reach Balatonalmadi? the nearest airport from the town is Sarmellek International Airport located around 76 km away from the city.
Tokaj - top wine lover destination in Hungary
Tokaj is a historical town and wine producing region in northeastern Hungary.
Top things to do in Tokaj
- Roam at the Tokaj’s vast green vineyards.
- Taste the iconic local Tokaji Aszu wine, a historical wine which is like white wine that comes in a golden color and has been centuries old.
- Discover many more varieties of wines produced in Tokaj.
- See the Bodrog river and Tisza river.
Popular food to try in Tokaj is dry and blue cheeses, fruit and chocolate desserts, Foie Gras and along with Tokaji wine.
Best time to visit Tokaj is from the month of March to November.
How to reach Tokaj? the best way to reach the town is by taking a car, bus or train from the city of Budapest.
Miskolc - top family travel destination in Hungary
Miskolc is the fourth largest city in Hungary located in the northeastern part of the country in the northern region of the country.
Miskolc has endless beech-clad mountains in the nearby Bukk National Park.
Top things to do in Miskolc
- Go to Bukk National Park and get lost in its vast forest area with caves.
- Ride the Lillafured Forest Train to discover forest area in a fast way.
- Go hiking and explore its waterfalls, lakes and a zoo.
- Marvel at the Diosgyor Castle, a historical castle in the city.
- Explore landmarks like St. Anne’s Church, Mindszent and Museum of Theatre History and Performing Arts.
Popular food to try in Miskolc consists of crispy trout, Diosgyor's sausages, crepes and potato cakes.
Best time to visit Miskolc is from mid April to early October.
How to reach Miskolc? you can take a bus or train from the city of Budapest or Debrecen to get access to the city.
Szombathely, best historical place in Hungary
Szombathely is the tenth largest city of Hungary located at the Vas province in the west part of the country near the border of Austria.
Remnants of the famous Amber road, legacy of the Roman ruins and its rich cultural life makes the city the best historical region in Hungary.
Top things to do in Szombathely
- Jate Church, a historic church with a temple and abbey.
- Szombathely Cathedral and its marvelous architecture.
- Smidt's Museum, St. Martin’s Church, Iseum Savariense Archaeology Workshop and Warehouse and many more places.
- Kamam Arboretum, a beautiful park and garden with trees and ornamental lakes.
- Boating in the Csonakazo To.
Popular food to try in Szombathely includes black tiger prawn, Foie Gras, buffalo mozzarella,Sous Vide Salmon and many traditional dishes.
Best time to visit Szombathely is the period between May and September.
How to reach Szombathely? the nearest airport from the city is Sarmellek International Airport located around 74 km away from the city centre.
Aggtelek - top nature's lover destination in Hungary
Aggtelek is a small village in Hungary located at the Borsod Abauj Zemplen county in north Hungary.
Top things to do in Aggtelek
- Locate the vast stalactite caverns of the nearby Baradla Domica Cave System, dominating the natural subterranean chambers.
- Explore the cultural and natural assets of Aggtelek National Park.
- Nature enthusiasts can enjoy walking and cycling to relish the beauty of Aggtelek.
- Book the Baradla cave tour, the most famous tour here.
Best time to visit Aggtelek are the months of May, June and July.
How to reach Aggtelek? the best way to reach the village is by taking a bus from Budapest or from Miskolc.
Heviz - besspa town of Hungary
Heviz is a spa town in Hungary located near the western end of lake Balaton near the city of Keszthely in Zala county. The town is well known for its thermal lake which is the second largest thermal lake in the world.
Top things to do in Heviz
- Take a bath at the thermal lake of Heviz.
- Stroll along the Blaue Kirche Heviz
- Witness the beauty of the Heart of Jesus Church and Mary Magdalene Church in Egregy.
- The Montaro Keszthely is a beautiful mountain to take a city break.
- Head to Heviz’s producer market for some shopping.
- Heviz lake is said to have medicinal properties where you can relax and enjoy its calm and beauty.
Best time to visit Heviz are the months of June, July and August.
How to reach Heviz? the town can be reached easily by booking a flight to Heviz Balaton Airport.
Bukki National Park, top hiking destination in Hungary
Bükki National Park
Bukki National Park is a stunning mountainous national park in North Hungarian Mountains that is known for its stunning landscapes.
Top things to do in Bukki National Park
- Go hiking with its various hiking trails.
- Reveal the tallest mountain peak in Hungary, Kekesteto. The
- Pass the scenic routes, popular paths to the unchallenged terrains.
- In the route of hiking, explore Tapolca’s extinct volcanoes
- Get to see the lake Balaton and the diverse flora and fauna of this hilly region.
Best time to visit Bukki National Park is from May to September.
How to reach Bukki National Park? The park is located between the town of Eger and Gyongyos. You can take a bus from any of the cities to reach the national park.
Szentendre - top romantic destination in Hungary
Szentendre is a beautiful town in Hungary located at the bank of Danube river, north to the capital Budapest in Pest county.
Top things to do in Szentendre
- Wander along Szentendre narrow cobbled streets.
- Take a photograph of its colorful houses with amazing architecture.
- Explore the large Szentendre Skanzen Village Museum.
- Discover a number of historic museums like Szamos Marcipan Museum, Ferenczy Museum, Retro Design Museum, Micro Wonder Museum, Barcsay Museum and Kovacs Margit Ceramic Museum.
Popular food to try in Szentendre consists of Caribbean, European and Hungarian delicacies.
Best time to visit Szentendre is from late June to late August.
How to reach Szentendre? the best way to reach the town is by taking a train or boat from the city of Budapest.
Eger - top solo travel destination in Hungary
Eger is a regal city in Hungary, the second largest city of northern Hungary that is most famous for its opulent baroque mansions and castles along with its thermal waters.
Top things to do in Eger
- Castle of Eger, a medieval fortress with spectacular views.
- Eger Minaret, a former mosque tower
- Cathedral Basilica of Eger, an exceptional 19th century cathedral in Eger.
- De La Motte Castle Noszvaj and Church of Anthony of Padua.
- City Under the City is a massive cellar vault feayuring imposing volcanic stone and cement arches under the city.
- Bukki National Park and its many caves.
Popular food to try in Eger includes Palocleves and the famous wine of the Eger region.
Best time to visit Eger is from mid April to early October.
How to reach Eger? the nearest airport from the city is Budapest International Airport from where you can take a train or bus to reach the city.
Pecs - most beautiful city in Hungary
Pecs is a city in Hungary near the border of Croatia in the southern part of the country in the slopes of Mecsek mountains.
Top things to do in Pecs
- Pecs Cathedral and its neo Romanesque Catholic look.
- Travel over landmarks like Mosque of Pasha Qasim, Fruhchristlicher Friedhof Von Pecs, Victor Vasarely Museum and Zsolnay Museum.
- Discover the Zsolnay Cultural Quarter and its many concert halls.
- Visit the Pecs TV Tower with an observation deck giving an outstanding view of the city.
- Get to Mecsek mountains to take a city break.
With its architectural and historical landmarks Pecs is known as the city of museums and galleries.
Best time to visit Pecs are the months of May, June, August and September.
How to reach Pecs? the city can be reached easily by taking a bus or a train from the major cities of Hungary.
Holloko - best village in Hungary
Holloko is a small village in Hungary with merely a population of around 380 people.
Top things to do in Holloko
- Get lost in the beautiful landscape of this fairy tale village.
- Explore the ancient Holloko Castle, the most famous landmark here.
- Tour many local landmarks like Hollokoi Falumuzeum, Paloc Babamuzeum, Postamuzeum and Guzsalyas.
- Know about several local traditions and craftsmanship.
Popular food to try in Holloko consists of Muskatli Vendeglo, Palocleves and some local wines.
This ethnographic village of Paloc region is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Best time to visit Holloko is from late May to early October.
How to reach Holloko? the village is located around 65 km away from the city of Budapest from where you can take a bus to reach the village.
Debrecen - top shopping destination in Hungary
Debrecen is the second largest city of Hungary located at Hajdu Bihar county in Northern Great Plain region.
Top things to do in Debrecen
- Discover city’s fine collection of souvenir shops, design stores and modern day shopping centres.
- Purchase glasses, clothes, hats, accessories, electronic pavilions and much more.
- Visit best shopping centers like Debrecen Plaza, Debrecen Fórum, Stop Shop, Agrar Plaza, Centru Debrecen, Dumdumshop, Rock Music Shop, Obsit Military Shop, Penny Market and many more places.
- Take a break from shopping and find the Reformed Great Church of Debrecen.
Popular food to try in Debrecen is the traditional Hungarian food - Debreceni Sausage, Puliszka, Slambuc in street food style.
Best time to visit Debrecen is from April till October.
How to reach Debrecen? you can book a flight to Debrecen International Airport to get access to the city.