When to visit:
january - december
Gortina , also known as Gortys, dates back to Minoan times. Gortina flourished throughout Byzantine times until Saracen raiders sacked the city in 824. It never recovered and was soon abandoned.
- The Odeion: Roman theatre of the 1st century AD, three rows of the cavea benches are preserved.
- Temple of Apollo Pythios: It was a rectangular house with a treasury, had once sheltered the statue of Pythios Apollo.
- Isieion: home to the the Egyptian Divinities, dedicated to gods such as Isis, Serapis-Zeus and Anubis-Hermes
- The Praetorium: was the seat and residence of the proconsul of Crete.
-Ayios Títos: best-preserved early Christian church in Crete. It was the seat of the archbishops until the Arab invasion.
- The Law Code: the ancient agora, or forum. The law code is carved by the Dorian Greeks around 500 BC onto massive stone blocks, it represents the earliest known written laws in Europe.
01Jul - 31Oct: Mon-Sun, 0800-2000
01Nov - 30Jun: Mon-Sun, 0830-1500
Open in map
Agii Deka Iraklio Greece 700 12
Chania International Airport "Ioannis Daskalogiannis"
Discover more destinations
Explore your interests